Demonstration and benchmarking of a floating wind turbine system for power generation in Atlantic deep waters
FLOATGEN’s objectives and applications
This project follows 3 main objectives :
- Proving the technical, economic and environmental feasibility of an EU technology floating system in deep waters
- Bringing wind energy applications closer to market in diverse European deep offshore areas
- Assessing the expected global generation cost per MWh in a 15-year perspective
- Define and validate appropriate methods and processes for the construction, installation, operation and access of the floating system
- Assess and validate its environmental impact
- Validate performance and cost of operation and maintenance
- Model a pathway for the reduction of energy cost from floating offshore WT system until cost values are comparable with fixed offshore wind structures and develop a roadmap
- Ensure replicability in other deep offshore locations and transfer knowledge through benchmarking activities.
In order to reach its ambitious objectives, the project brings together a Europe-wide industry-led partnership.
BW IDEOL(Coordinator – FR): Design and engineering of the complete system (mooring, hull, umbilical) and supply of the wind turbine, operation & maintenance
To learn more about this projet, you can read here the public available reports that have been produced from the very beginning of the project.