Demonstration and benchmarking of a floating wind turbine system for power generation in Atlantic deep waters
FLOATGEN’s objectives and applications
This project follows 3 main objectives :
- Proving the technical, economic and environmental feasibility of an EU technology floating system in deep waters
- Bringing wind energy applications closer to market in diverse European deep offshore areas
- Assessing the expected global generation cost per MWh in a 15-year perspective
- Define and validate appropriate methods and processes for the construction, installation, operation and access of the floating system
- Assess and validate its environmental impact
- Validate performance and cost of operation and maintenance
- Model a pathway for the reduction of energy cost from floating offshore WT system until cost values are comparable with fixed offshore wind structures and develop a roadmap
- Ensure replicability in other deep offshore locations and transfer knowledge through benchmarking activities.
In order to reach its ambitious objectives, the project brings together a Europe-wide industry-led partnership.
IDEOL (Coordinator – FR): Design and engineering of the complete system (mooring, hull, umbilical) and supply of the wind turbine.
To learn more about this projet, you can read here the public available reports that have been produced from the very beginning of the project.